If you consider yourself a college football fan, you were watching the Alabama – Florida game for the SEC championship. No one could’ve asked for a better football game, but that’s not what most people remember. The image of the great Tim Tebow, kneeling on the sideline, overcome with emotion and in tears on national television is what everyone remembers. The image has made this formidable man-beast the laughingstock of football and sports. A man who puts everything on the line one day a week for a couple of months each year is now being called a “baby” and a “girl”. Sports analysts and bloggers all over the country mock Tebow from the safety of their computers, but little do they know the truth behind the watery eyes of God’s second son.
1) Tim Tebow, trying to pump himself up before the game, decided to pop in an inspiring DVD to make himself even more of an insurmountable foe. He searched the whole stadium for something, but the only DVD available in the entire facility was “Cool Runnings”, the heartwarming story about a ragtag group of Jamaican sprinters (and an eccentric pushcart driver) who make it to the Olympics under the guidance of an American bobsledding castaway (played by comedian John Candy). This Disney classic has made millions of viewers break down to tears, and not even the great Florida quarterback could resist for long. After seeing the Jamaicans cross the finish line with the bobsled on their back, Tim could not hold his emotion back.
2) someone had been messing with Tim’s I-Pod, switching from his “Pre-Game Pump” mix to his “Super Sad Songs” playlist. Some of these songs my have been included.
- Beautiful by Christina Aguilera
- Epiphany by Staind
- Everybody Hurts by R.E.M
- Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls
- Brick by Ben Folds Five
- The Graduation Song by Vitamin C
- Here’s to the Night by Eve 6
- The Freshmen by the Verve Pipe
With the sad sounds of Vitamin C and Eve 6 drowning Tebow in sorrow all game, it was nearly impossible for him to focus on passing the ball, let alone keeping his composure on the sidelines. Tebow was an emotional train wreck waiting to happen.
3) In addition to this, some minor events happened throughout the course of the game.
- Someone was cutting an onion on the Florida Bench
- A bug had flown into Tim’s eye
- In a High-5 that went horribly wrong, he got smacked in the family jewels.
- He found out the Raiders had him number one on their draft list
- Someone told Tebow that wrestling is fake
- Tim over heard that his girlfriend wants a breast reduction
4) The final straw for Tebow came near the end of the fourth quarter. Some rude Alabama fans behind the Gators bench decided it would be funny to yell at Tebow that Santa Claus isn’t real. Tim is grown up, but one thing that has never left him is his Christmas spirit. When he heard these words (that he’d been secretly thinking for the past 2 years) he just lost it. This year for Christmas, Tebow had asked for a plane ticket to the Congo so he could spread Christmas cheer and help poor, needy children on the other side of the world. A so-called harmless joke not only ruined the game and Tebow’s Christmas, but the welfare of many African children.
I want you to put yourself in Tim Tebow’s shoes. Do you think, after all of these horrible events, that you could keep yourself from crying? Don’t lie to yourself because you know the answer is no.